ITS Ireland were represented by Vice-chairman David Laoide-Kemp at the ITS World Congress in Orlando on 16th – 20th October. David’s primary role was to represent ITS Ireland as hosts promoting the 9th ITS European Congress to be held in Dublin 4-7 June 2013. A stand promoting Dublin 2013 was provided by ERTICO throughout the duration of the Congress within the associated exhibition and David met and greeted 100’s of enthusiastic professionals who expressed their intention of travelling to Ireland in 2013.
With over 10,000 people in attendance from 80 countries, the congress and exhibition was a great success, allowing ample opportunity to promote Dublin 2013 to potential exhibitors and other attendees. In addition to this main function, the following was also achieved at the Congress:
- David and Chairman David O’Keeffe (who was also at the Congress representing ITS Ireland members ARUP) attended the International Road Federation (IRF) workshop’s sub-committee on ITS. The IRF are currently working on an ITS Advocacy document which may prove a useful resource for developing ITS Ireland’s vision and strategy which is planned for development in 2012. The ITS Ireland board are now considering whether to formally join the Committee and potentially attend future events.
- A draft MOU was issued to ITS Canada for acceptance consideration at their next board meeting.
- David and David attended a session hosted by the Network of National ITS organisations to discuss best practice and ITS deployments in various member states.
- Avego (ITS Ireland member) had a prominent presence at the Congress, involving the provision of transport to and from the venue for various events throughout the week.
- Development of an informal proposition with a representative of the Hawaiian DoT to form ITS Island forum. This was suggested in recognition of the fact that comparatively small islands with lower populations have very specific and sometimes different ITS requirements to continental/ large land mass based States/ Countries
- David, again with David O’Keeffe attended a pan-Global ITS National Networking meeting – the initial step being to set up an ITS Networks contact database and forum on LinkedIn or some similar web-based system.
It should be noted that ITS Ireland will have a more prominent stand and presence at the next ITS World Congress in Vienna (2012) to promote the 2013 ITS European Conference in Dublin.